Day 79 – At Sea – August 8th, 2015

Manta, Ecuador to Callao, Peru

Another relaxing sea day prior to our 2 days in Lima, followed by another port day in San Martin, which is about 130 miles south of Lima. Today the ship was rather subdued, probably something to do with the almost 300 that leave first thing tomorrow morning for the 3-day tour to Machu Picchu. Bruce and Viv are signed up for the Machu Picchu tour, so tonight we hosted pre-dinner farewell drinks to send them off. We are hoping Bruce takes lots of photographs and video for our next boys photo swap afternoon.

Temperature: High 23C/73F, Low 17C/63F

Wind/Weather: SW’ly winds at 20 knots. Long low swell. Overcast 

Sunrise/Sunset: 06:33/18:11

Clox: Z-5 (no change)



In the very early hours this morning, Sea Princess passed the Ecuador Peru border, at which time course was altered to a SE’ly heading, at a speed of about 12 kts, as we paralleled the Peruvian coastline. Although I note yet again the Navigator is somewhat directionally challenged, as the Princess Patter states we steered S’ly courses throughout the day. 



I started on the Promenade Deck about 05:30, completing only 18 laps or 6 miles this morning. Returning to the cabin shortly after 07:15, I completed yesterday’s blog post and started work on Bob’s photographs that I received yesterday. I also had the telly tuned to the footie channel, since the English Premier started this morning with Man U playing Spurs. Unfortunately Man U won 1 – 0. Once the match was over we headed to the dining room for breakfast, sitting at a table with couples from New Zealand and Australia. We had a great laugh over the recent sports results, with the Australian chap preferring to discuss Rugby rather than cricket, since the Aussies just beat the All Blacks and England beat Australia to win the Ashes back. We had an excellent Waiter, who remembered we like hot food and tea, so he ensured Judi’s pancakes were hot off the grill and my porridge was reheated before serving.

After breakfast we returned to the cabin to watch Bournemouth and Aston Villa, followed by Chelsea and Swansea, however I left after only 1/2hr of the Chelsea match to attend the Noon lecture. Just prior to the lecture we spotted a large pod of porpoises frolicking on the surface, but by the time I grabbed the camera they were a fair distance astern, so these are the best photos.

Porpoise 1

Porpoise 2

Porpoises, as seen from our balcony.

The lecture was titled, “The Science of Volcanoes, Earthquakes and Tsunamis”. While scheduled at Noon, David had been instructed that he could not start until the Captain’s Noon announcement concluded. We couldn’t hear it in the theatre, so asked him to commence, however he advised he was specifically instructed to wait. Unfortunately the Captain dragged on for over 10 minutes, so the lecture didn’t start until almost 12:15 and had to be over before 12:45, so the photographers could peddle their Panama Canal film. It was most unfortunate, as he literally raced through his slides and ran out of time to discuss his personal experiences with the subject matter.


Title page from today’s lecture.

Yet again, both before and after the lecture, the impatience and ignorance of some of our fellow passengers reared its ugly head. When the previous lecture finished, rather than waiting for those leaving the theatre to climb the stairs and exit, the masses waiting to enter immediately headed down the stairs making it almost impossible for those trying to exit. Only result was a vastly slower process. I stood at the back of the foyer just shaking my head in disbelief. With the theatre probably less than 1/2 full for the lecture, it was a futile exercise, displaying impatience and a complete lack of what I consider good manners. On completion of the lecture it was almost as bad. A huge group were waiting to enter the theatre, but while they didn’t start coming down the stairs until everyone was out, they did almost completely block the exit, requiring us to weave our way across the foyer. Yet again completely slowing down the exit process.

I returned to the cabin, picked up Judi and we headed down to the restaurant for lunch. Judi had a burger and I opted for the curry, which was served not quite stone cold, more tepid. Needless to say it was returned to the galley, with the waiter returning with a plate that was red hot, but the food was only slightly warmer. Yet again another low point for the galley on this ship, which is by far the worst we have ever experienced. After lunch, the schedule had nothing of interest, so we returned to the cabin, where I worked on more of the photographs I received from Bob yesterday.

At 18:30 we hosted a farewell party for Bruce and Viv, who depart tomorrow morning for the 3 day Machu Picchu tour, which departs in Lima and returns in San Martin on Tuesday. We all enjoyed a few refreshments, nibbles and some great conversation before heading straight down to dinner at 19:45. As usual, we were last out of the dining room, and having missed the last show we headed back to the cabin. 

As another day closes, we bid you farewell, till tomorrow and hope for fair skies and following seas.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.