Day 51 – 24th February 2020, Townsville

Viking Sun bow

This is another of the new ports added since we boarded the magnificent Viking Sun. Noumea in New Caledonia was the first new port and we had a great overnight stay. Well, Townsville was equally impressive, even if the weather wasn’t overly co-operative.

Read on for lots of photos, including Judi holding a Koala.

Our tour this morning started at crack of dawn, so I skipped my walk, especially as I anticipated walking a few miles on the tour. We headed up to the World Cafe for a quick breakfast before reporting to the Theatre. Within minutes, we were enroute to the gangway, but passing the lifts, we saw that outside it was torrential rain. Since it was a 400 yds walk to the terminal, they halted disembarkation until it had eased from torrential to only heavy rain. Fortunately we had the Viking brolly with us.

Viking Sun alongside at Townsville 2

Viking Sun alongside cargo berth at Townsville


  • Tour type – Ship’s Optional Excursion
  • Tour Name – Magnetic Island Wildlife Explorer
  • Duration – 7 hrs
  • Summary – Ferry to Magnetic Island Reserve, visit to Koala Village, lunch and scenic tour of the island.


Since it was a 300 to 400 yds walk from the gangway to the terminal, Viking arranged for a complimentary van for those passengers unable to walk. It picked up at the gangway and dropped off at the terminal.

Nelly Bay ferry Arcadia

Magnetic Island ferry – MV Arcadia

Although the ferry terminal is only a 1/4 mile from the cruise terminal, they arranged for buses to pick us up and drive us to the ferry. Our tour had less than would fit in a single bus, but they split us into 2 separate groups. We had about 24 in our group.

Ferry end of harbour in downpour

Aboard ferry with visibility reduced due to heavy rain

Once at the ferry terminal, we walked straight aboard, climbing the stairs up to the passenger decks. No lifts on these boats. The trip across to the island was a little choppy, taking about 40 mins.

Koala Village sign

Disembarking the ferry we were directed to our 2 buses, with our group heading straight to the Koala Village, while the other bus started with the scenic island tour.

Koala Village Koala asleep in tree 2

Koala asleep in tree, not receiving visitors today

Entering the village, we met our excellent guide “Cassie”, who stayed with us during the entire 90 mins. She took us directly to a Koala pen, where the plan was for each of us to enter individually, having an opportunity to pet the Koala. However, whether due to the weather, or other reasons, the little chap wasn’t interested in receiving visitors this morning.

We checked out a couple of other Koalas, so enjoy the next few Koala photos. Note: I am leaving them full size, rather than creating a tiled mosaic. Enjoy. Due to the rain, I was dealing with minimal light and no flash, so the ISO was pushed to 25,000, hence some photos have some noise.

Koala Village Koala in tree 20Koala Village Koala in tree 16Koala Village Koala in tree 14Koala Village Koala in tree 7Koala Village Koala in tree 10Koala Village Koala in tree 9Koala Village Koala in tree 11Koala Village Koala in tree 6Koala Village Koala in tree 2Koala Village Koala in tree 4

Koala Village Koala in tree 1

Selection of Koalas

Since we couldn’t enter the pen for a pet, our guide implemented Plan B, taking us back to a covered area, where we didn’t get any wetter. Our guide then taught us how to hold a Koala, before going to collect one for us to hold. This was simply brilliant, as nobody was rushed and we all had the opportunity to hold one.

Koala Village our guide with Koala 2

Guide arrives with a Koala

They also had a photographer, who took a photo of each couple holding the Koala. Photos were printed and we received them after lunch. The photo was included in the tour cost.

Koala Village Andy and Judi with Koala 2

Judi holding the Koala

Koala hours of work are highly regulated, as they are limited to 1/2 hr a day, with the next day off.

Koala Village guide and Koala

Koala departing back to its pen

Next on the agenda were a couple of lizards – a bearded dragon and shingleback, which is also known as a 2-headed lizard, as it can transform to make it look like it has 2 heads, to confuse predators. Enjoy the photos.

Koala Village Bearded Dragon 3

Bearded Dragon close-up

Koala Village petting Shingleback lizard

Shingleback held by our guide for petting opportunities

Koala Village Judi petting Shingleback lizard

Judi petting the Shingleback

Koala Village guide and Shingleback lizard 2

Shingleback close-up

Koala Village guide and Bearded Dragon

Our guide with the Bearded Dragon

She also brought out a snake, but we had no wish to get close to it, but some of the others were happy to have it around their neck and hold the head. Once the snake was safely stowed we walked around the village.

Koala Village red tailed Cocatoo

Red tailed Cockatoo

Koala Village red tailed Cocatoo 2

Red Tailed Cockatoo

Normally, if you put your arm out the Cockatoo will jump on, but not today. Another casualty of the rain.

Koala Village Croc 2

Crocodile, which has a narrow mouth

Koala Village FW Turtles 7Koala Village FW Turtles 3

Koala Village FW Turtles 2


The babies are 3 years old, with their mother being the oldest female. At birth they were tiny, about the size of a 25c quarter, which makes them a favourite food of the Cockatoos. Therefore, they were removed and raised by the staff, until big enough to fend for themselves.

Koala two bearded dragons


After a most enjoyable 90 minutes at the Koala Village, we returned to our bus for the journey back to Nellis Bay, for lunch at a local resort. It required a short walk up hill through the gardens to the restaurant, but it was definitely worth the effort.

Lunch was a buffet comprising – green salad, waldorf salad, 3 types of prawns, 2 different white fish, kangaroo, chicken wings and sausage. Desserts were on a separate table and included – fresh fruit, fruit salad, pavlova and small chocolate eclairs. They also provided tea, coffee and fruit juice.

Lunch patio at resort we enjoyed lunch

Looking down from restaurant balcony at the resort pool

For the afternoon, it had stopped raining and while still overcast, the skies were at least clear and much brighter. Departing the resort, the other bus went to the Koalas while we commenced our scenic island tour.

Horseshoe Bay beach and fore-shore

Horseshoe Bay Beach and tree lined fore-shore

We drove to Horseshoe Bay on the other end of the island, which on a large bus is no mean feat on narrow, steep and winding roads.

Horseshoe Bay looking down boat launch

Horseshoe Bay Boat Launch

We drove down both streets around the bay, before parking so we had about 15 minutes to run around taking photos.

Horseshoe Bay beach and swim pen

Horseshoe Bay Beach with netted swimming enclosure

Horseshoe Bay beach road

Horseshoe Bay Beach Road

Once back on the bus, we re-traced our route back to Nellis Bay, stopping at Geoffrey Bay, where we drove along the old single track road to the old ferry ramp.

Geoffrey Bay old ferry ramp

Original Ferry Ramp prior to new harbour being built

The road out to the old ferry ramp was a single track lane, which must have made for some interesting conflicts with vehicles leaving the ferry and others trying to make it.

At the end of the road we got off the bus to watch our guide feed the fish by throwing slices of bread into the water, resulting in a feeding frenzy. Didn’t really see any actual fish, just the splashes from them thrashing around the bread.

Geoffrey Bay fish feeding on bread 3

Slice of bread being devoured by the fish – anyone for swimming ???

Geoffrey Bay beach panorama

Geoffrey Bay Panorama

After the fish feeding frenzy, we walked along a track and wow, we spotted a Rock Wallaby. It was originally up on the rocks, but no more than 8 feet away from us. We all froze and got the camera shutters snapping.

Geoffrey Bay Allied Rock Wallaby close-up 2

Rock Wallaby close-up

Geoffrey Bay Allied Rock Wallaby 3

Rock Wallaby watching us

After a few minutes he jumped jumped down onto the path, but stayed close to our group.

Geoffrey Bay Allied Rock Wallaby 7

Geoffrey Bay Allied Rock Wallaby 2

Rock Wallaby just before he jumped down to the path

Sadly, there is always one that doesn’t listen to the instructions about not feeding or touching the wild animals. Fortunately she still has all her fingers.

Geoffrey Bay Allied Rock Wallaby petting 2

Trying to pet a wild animal – really????

Apparently the morning group were not so fortunate, as the Wallaby wasn’t out when they visited. Once we were back aboard, we continued our scenic tour, stopping at the Nelly Bay Habitat Reserve, where the guide showed us a collection of boards displaying native birds, trees, etc. He was very knowledgeable, expanding on the brief descriptions provided on the boards.

Picnic Bay Beach

Picnic Bay Beach

Next stop was at Picnic Bay, where we were dropped at one end of the beach and we walked along the fore-shore to the pier for pick-up. The fore-shore is a series of Banyan Trees, which are a haven for birds.

Picnic Bay tree line shore

Picnic Bay tree lined shore

Banyan Trees

Looking up in the first tree we spotted a Kookaburra.

Picnic Bay Kookaburra 2


Picnic Bay Blue-Winged Kookaburra


Picnic Bay cockatoo in tree

Picnic Bay cockatoo in tree 2


We returned to Nelly Bay where we had a short wait for the ferry, which was named “Arcadia”. This was the name of one of the great P&O steam ships, which I was originally scheduled to join in Sydney, way back in 1979. It was going to be her final voyage to the scrap yard. I ended up on a different ship, so I can now say 41 years later, I eventually sailed on Arcadia.

Once aboard, I climbed up to the top deck to capture a few photos of the harbour.

Nelly Bay marina departing harbour

Departing the ferry terminal and harbour

Nelly Bay breakwater homes

Harbour entrance condos

The above condos were built on land that was blasted to provide the rock for the new harbour breakwater.

Nelly Bay breakwater and park

Harbour breakwater

Without the rain and wind, the return trip was rather pleasant. Another few photos from the return cruise.

Outside the terminal, we were picked up by limo buses for the short hop back to the ship. Wow, what a great day and a most enjoyable tour.

Shuttle Bus

In addition to the van from the gangway to the terminal, Viking also provided a complimentary shuttle bus into town. I recall reading it made 2 stops, but unfortunately, can’t remember where.


After dinner we attended the evening show with Clare Langan, who played the flute accompanied by the Viking Band. It was a most enjoyable show with some great music. After the show we headed to Torshavn for a nightcap or two.

4 thoughts on “Day 51 – 24th February 2020, Townsville

  1. The fish feeding frenzy reminds me of our trips to Lake Mead, outside Las Vegas. We buy Cheddar Popcorn (at least 6 bags) and feed the fish from the docks. Frenzy ensues! It is great fun. We learned about the popcorn from our first trip; a local mentioned it.


  2. Andrew, This was an amazing blog, without doubt the best you have sent so far. It was a very long blog, the range of photos was tremendous. I enjoyed the blog as much as you and Judy no doubt enjoyed the full day tour.

    I am trying to print your blog of yesterday showing Jamie and Owen in the full Mountie uniform to send to Gillian and Gina. To take a copy of an item on screen I normally (c ) File top left of screen , then ( c ) print on the drop down menu on the left of screen. Its not working today, I cannot get the word file on screen. I’ll get Douglas or Diane to come across , see if they can fix it. Will email Heather to say I got Jamie and Owen in their Mountie Uniform , a photo to keep for a long time.

    I will get it and a suitable frame it to add to my collection. Dad


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.